[Samba] rsync alternative -- smbclient?

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:59:51 UTC 2019

I, too have been looking into alternatives to the rsync-based sysvol
replication workaround, and really liked the idea of using the
existing Sysvol SMB share, rather than a secondary protocol (with its
own authentication, etc).

When I realized that Andrew Bartlett was a primary developer of both
Samba and Rsync, I was even more surprised that Rsync doesn't support
an smb:// URL.

csync [1] is an alternative file-sync tool, written in part by Andreas
Schneider, who is, interestingly, also a Samba developer. This tool
does support smb:// paths. However it is explicitly bi-directional,
and I managed to **completely delete my source Sysvol share** with it.
I recommend against trying to use this tool for Sysvol sync (for now
anyway).

So then I started playing around with smbclient and thought about
writing my own tool, using libsmbclient. Also, rather than running the
script periodically and "polling" for changes, my thought was to
leverage the "notify" feature of SMB to detect when things change on
the source. I have been working on writing my tool in Python. The
problem is that pysmbc [2] doesn't expose the notify APIs. So I
started re-writing the libsmbclient bindings in Cython (which is way
easier than hand-coding a CPython extension). But then I ran across a
bug [3] in libsmbclient in 4.9.x that prevents the notify API from
working. Sigh.

The biggest problem, however, is the discontinuity in the way ACLs /
xattrs are handled -- libsmbclient appears to translate the ACLs in
the smbc_getxattr() API, and there's no way to "apply" those to the
Linux filesystem backing the Sysvol share. (I don't have my notes with
specifics in front of me, but I remember looking at the result of
smbc_getxattr() and thinking "okay, what syscall am I supposed to use
to apply these to /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ ?")

So at this point, it seems hopeless. Perhaps Andrew or Andreas,
knowing much more than I about SMB ACLs and xattrs, could offer some
advice? Is it really impossible to sync Sysvol using SMB? Maybe I
could connect to both a remote **and** local SMB share, and apply them
in that way?

Some additional thoughts about your script, Joachim:

Thanks for pointing out --machine-pass.

You may find this method easier for locating the PDC emulator:

    host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.<domain>

I have been setting the [netlogon] and [sysvol] shares to "read only =
yes" for all "secondary" DCs (those w/o the PDC emulator role).  This
is to prevent someone from connecting to and making changes on a
non-PDC-emulator DC w/ the GPO editor.

Cheers,
Jonathon Reinhart

[1] https://www.csync.org/