[Samba] Samba4 Internal DNS and pfSense DNS Resolver

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 10 18:49:10 UTC 2019

Am 10.07.19 um 20:38 schrieb miguel medalha via samba:

>> How could I achieve that when my client from the LAN makes a request
>> to xmpp.domain.tld, SAMBA4 direct that request to pfSense and respond
>> with the IP assigned to it?
>
> In the smb.conf file of your DCs you insert the line:
>
> dns forwarder = [IP address of your pfSense machine]

there is no reason why an authoritative nameserver would forward a
request to his own domain no matter if it's samba, named or somethign else

any authoritative nameserver is supposed to know *every* record within
his own zones and you can't have half of them somewhere lese except
subdomain delegation but *not* for simple hosts like "xmpp.domain.tld"