[Samba] Container setup?

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Wed Jul 10 16:13:43 UTC 2019

Hi Patrick,
thanks for the pointers. I tried today, and while it was easy to start my first container, I am not really happy with LXD, exactly for the reason Stéphane gives in
https://stgraber.org/2016/03/11/lxd-2-0-introduction-to-lxd-112/ "How does LXD relate to Docker/Rkt?"... what I really like about docker and docker-compose is, that it encourages to separate code from data and configuration, whereas with LXD you end up with the usual mix in your file system - unless you really care (see also https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/gcp/7-best-practices-operating-containers). Also the image for ubuntu 18:04 was pretty outdated as dist-upgrade had to update a lot. Looks like one ends up with lots of duplication (potentially followed by deduplication of file system) keeping all containers up to date, whereas in Docker one just replaces the containers.
I do see the Docker disadvantage of single app model relevant for Samba though...
Best Regards, Joachim