[Samba] Standalone server and POSIX ACL issue

Yvan Masson yvan at masson-informatique.fr
Wed Jul 10 09:37:10 UTC 2019

Le 10/07/2019 à 08:46, Rowland penny via samba a écrit :
> On 09/07/2019 22:49, Yvan Masson wrote:

>>> You would be better off setting up two shares

>>> I know that page refers to a standalone server, but it is mostly
>>> aimed at AD domain members, though the basics should work on a
>>> standalone server.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Thanks for the advice. I have read
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
>> which gave me the solution: I had forgot to add "eleve" user to the
>> smbpasswd database. It would need more testing, but it seems I have a
>> working setup with two shares and no POSIX ACL.
>>
>> I suppose I already know the answer, but is there a way to login with
>> Samba without having a smbpasswd file?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Yvan
>
> Yes, it is known as setting up an AD domain and then accounts are stored
> in AD ;-)
>
> Otherwise if you really mean 'can I connect to a Samba share on a Samba
> standalone server without an account', then yes, you can. you will need
> 'map to guest = bad user' in [global] and 'guest ok = yes' in the shares
> (note, you cannot use 'valid users' etc in the shares), with these
> settings and no users, anybody can connect to the shares and they will
> be mapped to the guest user (usually 'nobody'). This is very insecure.
>
> Rowland

OK thanks. However I still want to clarify what is wrong with my
original setup, where "Partage" directory is shared on a standalone
Samba 4.9.5 server:
/home/yvan/Partage/
├── Consultation/
└── Echange/

Connecting with local user "yvan" (added to smbpasswd file this time),
works properly: I have write access in "Consultation/" and "Echange/".

Connecting as a guest user (mapped to user "nobody") works partially:
I have read access in "Consultation/" and "Echange/", but I would like
to have write access in "Echange/". For example, this does not work (the
share is mounted as guest via gvfs):
$ LANG=C touch
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=e7440.local\,share\=partage/Echange/test
touch: cannot touch
'/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=e7440.local,share=partage/Echange/test':
Permission denied

However, everything works properly when accessing files locally. This works:
$ sudo -u nobody touch /home/yvan/Partage/Echange/test

So I guess I have an issue with guest access in my Samba configuration.

$cat /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = AYN
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m