[Samba] DNC and DNS

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 5 19:44:11 UTC 2019

On 05/07/2019 20:23, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:
> On 07/05/2019 02:11 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> Can you point me to some document that explains how caching would
>>> work with samba's dns in the manor you are suggesting?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Wooldridge
>>>
>> We do not have anything in the wiki, but I have been working on
>> something to add, see the attached file.
>>
>> It is a bit rough around the edges (I haven't finished it yet), but
>> it has had minimal testing and is based upon information supplied by
>> someone who has been doing this for some years.
>>
> What advantage is there in having a cache with samba?
>
> --
> Bob Wooldridge

The only advantage is if you have a high traffic environment, otherwise
it isn't required, just use the DC's as the domain nameservers. If you
do have a lot of traffic (most of which will have nothing to do with the
AD domain (google etc) ), the caching/forwarding server will use data
from its cache, or ask its forwarders, or if it is something inside the
AD DNS domain, it will ask an AD DC.

Rowland