[Samba] smb.conf realm parameter

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 5 14:51:17 UTC 2019

On 05/07/2019 15:44, James Atwell wrote:
> You are correct. I feel silly. :-[
>
> It has always bugged me that one of my DC's I provisioned has it's
> realm in lowercase while all others are in uppercase. This is since
> the 4.0 days as all my DC's are in place upgrades. I have read on the
> list a few times about it's need to be in CAPS as well.
>
> I also notice when comparing databases on DC's the difference is
> usually 'cn' vs 'CN'.

I personally don't think it makes much difference what case you use, but
best practise is to use uppercase for the workgroup, netbios name and realm.

The 'cn' versus 'CN' is actually a known bug, which I think has been
fixed, so you should find, over time, that they all become 'cn'. It
doesn't really matter if it is 'cn' or 'CN', they both work ;-)

Rowland