[Samba] cannot set filesystem permissions on shares

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jul 4 14:28:39 UTC 2019

That all depends on the setup and if you know that your doing, there is no problem with changing the share rights at all.
And since most people dont like, that these shares are setup with everyone/full controle and on the wiki it shows:
"domain users" Read
"domain admins" Full

Its a bit off to say dont touch the share tab...
Now if the wiki is right, and if you follow it it works, then yes, i totaly agree, but today its not.

By Default this is Everyone/Full (is/was, I dont know current stat of latest windows) i should check,
but i just killed my building server. :-( aarrgg..
Only bionic i386 was todo, so i need to fix that first now.

And with the bug(s) in samba, that groups and (nested groups) are not well read through winbind, ( i believe fixed now ), that is/was a problem.
Which still might be in 4.9.5 on Debian buster.  Thats why i asked him to try this.

We know its normaly really not needed to change the share rights, thats correct but,
again, it depends on what you want to use and how.

Ps. @Rowland, Those caps are really not needed..  ;-)

Ps2 in general, a good read : https://blog.netwrix.com/2018/05/03/differences-between-share-and-ntfs-permissions/
That might help people understanding the difference.

Greetz,

Louis