[Samba] Samba and UFW

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 31 19:03:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:46:07 -0500
<mmcg29440 at frontier.com> wrote:

> OK Guys this where we are now. The hostname on the Mint 19.1 PC was a
> combination of the user name and the PC model. I changed it to
> "radio". That plus the user name gives "martin at radio". That  is
> twelve characters long. No change. Still not able to mount network.
>
> Removed netbios name from smb.conf. No change.
>
> Set Windows app to no smb/ctif sharing. Got nothing when trying to
> mount network on Linux PC. When enabled can connect with firewall off.
>
> Removed client max protocol = NT1 from smb.conf. No change.
>
> Redid fire wall rules:
> 	Allow in from anywhere
> 	137,138 udp
> 	139,445 tcp
> 	Allow out
> 	137,138 udp
> 	139,445 tcp
>
> 	Same for 137,138(6) etc.
>
> No change.
>
> The ip_modules loaded are listed below:
>
> martin at radio:~$ lsmod | grep -E "nf_|xt_|ip"
> ip6t_REJECT            16384  1
> nf_reject_ipv6         16384  1 ip6t_REJECT
> nf_log_ipv6            16384  10
> xt_hl                  16384  22
> ip6t_rt                16384  3
> nf_conntrack_ipv6      20480  11
> nf_defrag_ipv6         36864  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
> ipt_REJECT             16384  1
> nf_reject_ipv4         16384  1 ipt_REJECT
> xt_comment             16384  4
> nf_log_ipv4            16384  10
> nf_log_common          16384  2 nf_log_ipv4,nf_log_ipv6
> xt_LOG                 16384  20
> xt_multiport           16384  4
> xt_limit               16384  21
> xt_tcpudp              16384  18
> xt_addrtype            16384  4
> nf_conntrack_ipv4      16384  11
> nf_defrag_ipv4         16384  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
> xt_conntrack           16384  22
> ip6table_filter        16384  1
> ip6_tables             28672  1 ip6table_filter
> nf_conntrack_netbios_ns    16384  0
> nf_conntrack_broadcast    16384  1 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
> nf_nat_irc             16384  0
> nf_conntrack_irc       16384  1 nf_nat_irc
> nf_nat_ftp             16384  0
> nf_nat                 32768  2 nf_nat_irc,nf_nat_ftp
> nf_conntrack_ftp       20480  1 nf_nat_ftp
> nf_conntrack          131072  10
> xt_conntrack,nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_nat_irc,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_nat,nf_nat_ft
> p,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_conntrack_broadcast,nf_conntrack_irc,nf_conntra
> ck_ftp
> libcrc32c              16384  2 nf_conntrack,nf_nat
> iptable_filter         16384  1
> ip_tables              28672  1 iptable_filter
> x_tables               40960  15
> ip6table_filter,xt_conntrack,iptable_filter,xt_LOG,xt_multiport,xt_tcpudp,xt
> _addrtype,ip6t_rt,xt_comment,ip6_tables,ipt_REJECT,ip_tables,xt_limit,xt_hl,
> ip6t_REJECT
> martin at radio:~$
>
> I have not added the lines iptables -t raw -A output --port 137 --JCT
> --helper netbios-ns or the lines suggested be Reinld. I'll try them
> if you all think it might help.

> [...]

Try this command on the linux mint machine:

smbclient -L localhost

You should get prompted for a password, if so, just press enter.
If you get 'smbclient: command not found', you will have to install it.

You should get something like this:

Anonymous login successful

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	Demo            Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4 Client Computer4)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
Anonymous login successful

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	COMPUTER4            Samba 4 Client Computer4
	DESKTOP-GVRV8IE

	Workgroup            Master
	SAMDOM               DESKTOP-GVRV8IE

The line with 'Disk' in it, is a share.

Now go to another linux machine (hopefully you have one) and run the
command again, replacing 'localhost' with the IP of your mint computer,
you should get the same output

Rowland