[Samba] Winbind, cached logons and 'user persistency'...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 30 16:36:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:25:19 +0100
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > nscd caches certain things, as does winbind, if you want to run nscd
> > with winbind, you need to stop nscd caching the things that winbind
> > does, when you do this, nscd isn't caching very much, so you might
> > as well not use it.
>
> Ok. But for some ''incompatibilities'', or because double-caching some
> data is not smart and error prone (in the case of a negative cache,
> both cache have to be cleaned...)?

From memory, nscd caches /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/hosts.

Winbind caches the first two and this is a Unix domain member, so all
there should be in /etc/hosts is the computers own info & localhost and
if the computer is using DHCP, there only needs to be local host.
So you do not need nscd

> > AH, how does 'exim' look for the user ?
>
> I've just asked in exim list.

I was wondering if it was being done by an LDAP lookup, you would
definitely need the LDAP server for that, no amount of caching would
work for that ;-)

Rowland