[Samba] Samba and UFW

mmcg29440 at frontier.com mmcg29440 at frontier.com
Tue Jan 29 15:19:30 UTC 2019

Rowland,

I found the reason for the "wrong argument" error. The windows firewall was
set to block remote connections. Fixed that now I'm able to connect to the
network. Now I'm back to the original problem. That is I cannot connect to
the windows network with ufw enabled. Error "Cannot mount location - file or
directory does not exist". If I press ok the error repeats. If I disable ufw
I can connect to the mount the Windows network and browse it with no
problem. If I enable ufw after the network is mounted I still can browse it.
Samba is running as a stand alone server on a Linux PC. OS is Mint 19.1. I
have no problem accessing the Linux PC from it's console. That is the one
I'm trying to connect to the windows network and another PC running Mint
18.1. martin-RB042AV-ABA-a1410y is the Linux computer's name. I have reset
the netbios name to OFFICE which is the name of the Windows PC. Also rest
workgroup to WORKGROUP. I do not see any reference to host name in smb.conf.
Do I have to add it? What about sambapsswd should I add Linux user there?

Windows feature smb 1.0/cifs sharing is on. I'll try removing the entry that
forces smb1 in smb.conf and let it default to smb2/3. Not sure how to use
SSL. I'll try the other suggestions from others.

Regards,

Marty