[Samba] Troubleshooting help?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 29 08:51:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:00:21 +0000
Scott Z. <sudz28 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is your AD DC ? - Users log in to the domain but I don't really
> have an insight into that piece.  For my VM, my understanding is that
> so long as it can verify the user requesting access to the share has
> a valid login and are in the correct Active Roles group, they should
> be able to access the share.
>
> What is in /etc/centrifydc/smb2.conf ?  Looks like:
> [global]
>     winbindd socket directory = /run/samba/winbindd2
>     include = /etc/smb.conf
>
> I am indeed engaging with some Centrify support folks.  The only rub
> is, we're running Centos 7.6 on our server and they don't officially
> support Centos (only Red Hat Linux) so they keep telling us we need
> to switch over to Red Hat if we want full support.  That's not going
> to happen, but they're at least trying to be helpful.

If they support RHEL, then they must be able to support Centos. Centos
is RHEL recompiled with the names changed.

Centrify seems to be running Samba in a way that we cannot support.

I could tell you how to 'rip' Centrify out of your setup, but there
are problems with doing this, the main one is that your users will
undoubtedly end up with different numeric ID's.

I personally do not see why anybody would pay to use Centrify, when
winbind will do the same thing for free.

Rowland