[Samba] Troubleshooting help?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 28 21:40:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:53:29 +0000
Scott Z. <sudz28 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I probably should have lead with this, but I did not create or deploy
> this particular setup, I was charged with keeping it going after the
> main person left.  I have zero experience with Samba or Centrify, or
> I should say *had* no experience until this.
>
> So, I frankly have very little idea of what most of these options are
> for or why they're set the way they are.  I can certainly edit per
> your suggestions and see if it helps at all.  I have noticed that as
> people are getting window pop-ups asking them to enter their
> credentials (which they shouldn't get of course), I'm seeing a
> corresponding error in the log.smbd file that says
> "lookup_name_smbconf for <domain>\<user> failed", so I'm trying to
> see if I can find anything more specific about what might be causing
> that issue.
>
> Also, I do have samba-winbind-4.8.3 installed and winbind appears to
> be running (ps -ef |grep winbind returns two lines of
> "/usr/sbin/winbindd -s /etc/centrifydc/smb2.conf"). As to why this is
> using Centrify vice any other product, I cannot speak to that. Thanks
> much! Scott

What is your AD DC ?
What is in /etc/centrifydc/smb2.conf ?

I wouldn't mess with the smb.conf, you might make things worse.

Is your version of Centrify a paid for version, if so, it might be
worth asking Centrify for help.

Because you are using Centrify, I have no idea what ID range you are
using or how it is calculated/set, if I did, I may have been able to
tell you how to set smb.conf up for winbind.

Just how much data and how many users are we talking about ?

What do you use the Unix domain member (that is what it appears to
be) for ?

Rowland