[Samba] Samba and UFW

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 28 19:33:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:01:56 -0500
Marty via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Rowland,
>

> Got more problems after I copied the requested files using gedit I
> can no longer connect to the Windows 8.1 PC. The error is "Unable to
> mount location
> - Failed to retrieve list from service - Invalid argument. I have no
> idea where this one comes from.

This is fairly common, did you try clicking the OK button ?
it usually goes away and then connects to the computer

>Have rebooted both machines - no
> change. Without being connected to the network I cannot list the
> current smb.conf file on the Linux box (It does not have a cd/floppy
> drive). Testparm shows no errors in smb.conf. As an aside I cannot
> print to the Windows shared printer using samba. The document is
> processed on the Linux box, leaves the print queue but, does not
> print. Funny it works on Linux Mint 18.1.

Could you try SSH ?

> Included the response to ufw.log, syslog, ufw status numbered and ufw
> status verbose below. The OS is Linuv Mint 19.1 and the samba version
> is 4.7.6-ubuntu.
>
> I'm not sure how to answer how samba is run. It runs on boot up on
> the Linux box.

Are we talking about a 'Mintbox' (I think that is what it is called) ?

If so, it is probably running as a standalone server, but it would be
nice to confirm it.

> Do I have to reinstall Samba. If so how do I delete the old version
> and install the new?

You would need to be able to connect to the Mint computer first.

> Content of backup smb.conf

Which appears to be the default one

Rowland