[Samba] Using Azure AD with Samba for on-premise authentication.

sporkschivago at gmail.com sporkschivago at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:40:37 UTC 2019

Hi!

Is it possible to use Samba as a domain controller where Samba can grab the
usernames and passwords from an Azure AD?   We use Azure AD to authenticate
on Windows clients, but we would like to authenticate in Linux against that
Azure AD.   I figured if we could setup Samba as an on-premise domain
controller, and it could grab the usernames and passwords from the Azure AD,
or check against the Azure AD, we would be all set.   I was thinking this
might be possible using something called LDAPS.   I found information on how
to use Azure AD for Linux authentication, but the documentation I found
seems to require a Linux VM running on the Azure side, which we do not have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kenneth Swarthout