[Samba] Troubleshooting help?

Scott Z. sudz28 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:42:57 UTC 2019

I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the proper place/method by which to get help with troubleshooting Samba errors/issues, but it's the best one I could find.  I have an instance of Samba 4.8.3 running on a Centos 7.6 VM server (kernel 3.10.0-957.1.3), along with Centrify 5.5.2-578, that will allow folks to map a shared drive from their Windows 10 machines generally fine, but quite regularly throws a bunch of errors to the log.smbd file with stuff like the following:

*** stack smashing detected ***; /usr/sbin/smbd terminated
../lib/util/fault.c:79(fault report)
INTERNAL ERROR: singal 11 in pid .....
Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba HOWTO

These error messages have not proven to be very helpful, and I regularly get called in off-hours because users suddenly lose the ability to map to said share.  I've tried googling the heck out of the various cryptic error messages but haven't had much luck.  Typically a quick restart of the centrifydc-samba service fixes it, bit this seems to happen every few weeks.  I don't know if there's an issue in my smb.conf or something else entirely happening, but if anyone has any troubleshooting tips or hints please let me know!
Thanks!
Scott

p.s. - on same service I did a quick "systemctl status centrifydc-samba", and it shows a couple dozen pids with /usr/sbin/smbd next to them.  I have no idea what these are, aside from the obvious, but why are there so many?