[Samba] GPO / Sysvol problems

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Jan 23 21:02:39 UTC 2019

RPvs> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 10:06:52 -0800
RPvs> Gregory Sloop via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>> RPvs> Have you read this:

>> RPvs> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles

>> RPvs> and possibly, this:

>> RPvs> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Profile_Folder_Redirections

>> RPvs> Rowland

>> Yes, and I believe I've done everything properly.
>> That's where I started.

>> So I think we're back to; What items control file/directory creation
>> and the default permissions? What should I be looking at, or
>> tinkering with?

RPvs> Hmm, I am beginning to think the operative word here is 'freenas', a
RPvs> quick internet search shows a lot of requests for how to do what you
RPvs> are you are trying to do, but little or no answers.

RPvs> Can you try having the profiles on a Linux machine ?

RPvs> Rowland
RPvs>
So, Rowland [and anyone else following along] - lets see if we can forget about that shiny object.
Just forget I said FreeNAS. Poof! Gone!

Pretend I said I was using FreeBSD, with ZFS, and Samba 4.7.0.
And, apparently, creating directories for user profiles goes south in some cases. [It works sometimes too, but I can't determine why. I'm flipping lots of switches in an effort to make it work, so it may well be semi-self induced.]

But if I were that BSD guy - what things would I look at in the smb.conf that might have an impact on this situation?
How do I control the permissions new directories get from Samba?
I'd be glad for a "here's someone who faced exactly that, and here's how he fixed it." but I'd also be super happy with "Look at these 6 different smb.conf items - and here's how I might set them. You might look at this VFS module too."

TIA
-Greg