[Samba] Best Upgrade Plan (Samba3 NT Style to Samba4 AD)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 23 17:17:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 12:00:59 -0500
Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I need to upgrade two file servers to samba 4.
>
> Server 1 -> Centos 6.1 (NT Style Domain Controller)
> Server 2 -> Centos 6.8 (member server)
>
> I have added a new server (ie Server 3) than is
> running Debian and Samba4 configured for AD.
>
> Computers and Users can authenticate to the new
> server and new domain.  Group Policy, share and
> drive maps work.  The new setup in a "test scenario"
> seems to be working properly.
>
> What is the best way to move the file servers
> over to the new version of samba?
>
> I'm thinking the following:
>
> 1) Remove samba3
> 2) Install samba4
> 3) Modify smb.conf for the required file shares
> 4) Join each server to the AD Domain.
> 5) Assign share/file permissions via windows.
> 6) Map new drives via Windows group policy.
>
> Seems simple.  Usually isn't.  Thanks.

1) Copy all data to Server2
2) Install Debian on Server1
3) Use latest Samba from here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
4) Set up and join Computer to domain
5) Once you are sure all accounts have the correct ID's, copy all data
   to this Unix domain member aka fileserver
6) Install Debian on Server2
7) use latest Samba from here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
8) Set up and join to domain as a second DC

Rowland