[Samba] Best Upgrade Plan (Samba3 NT Style to Samba4 AD)

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Wed Jan 23 17:00:59 UTC 2019

I need to upgrade two file servers to samba 4.

Server 1 -> Centos 6.1 (NT Style Domain Controller)
Server 2 -> Centos 6.8 (member server)

I have added a new server (ie Server 3) than is
running Debian and Samba4 configured for AD.

Computers and Users can authenticate to the new
server and new domain.  Group Policy, share and
drive maps work.  The new setup in a "test scenario"
seems to be working properly.

What is the best way to move the file servers
over to the new version of samba?

I'm thinking the following:

1) Remove samba3
2) Install samba4
3) Modify smb.conf for the required file shares
4) Join each server to the AD Domain.
5) Assign share/file permissions via windows.
6) Map new drives via Windows group policy.

Seems simple.  Usually isn't.  Thanks.