[Samba] can't write Samba share as anonymous

Andrea Cucciarre' acucciarre at cloudian.com
Wed Jan 23 15:56:42 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to access a Samba share as anonymous/guest user, so I have
added the following entry inf file smb.conf (Samba 4.9)

guest account = andrea
map to guest = bad user
[test]
available = yes
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes
nfs4: acedup = merge
nfs4: mode = special
path = /var/tmp/test
read only = no

and the shared directory /var/tmp/test has the following permission (so
user andrea is the owner):

# ls -ld /var/tmp/test/
drwx------   5 andrea   root           5 Oct 16 11:05 /var/tmp/test/

The client can mount the share as anonymous (user urca doesn't exist)
but can't read or write:

root at andrea-virtual-machine:~# mount -t cifs //node1/test /mnt2 -o
username=urca,domain=hyperfile.local
Password for urca@//node1/test:

root at andrea-virtual-machine:~# cd /mnt2

root at andrea-virtual-machine:/mnt2# df -h .
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
//node1/test    4,2T  2,1T  2,2T  49% /mnt2

root at andrea-virtual-machine:/mnt2# touch pippo
touch: cannot touch 'pippo': Permission denied
root at andrea-virtual-machine:/mnt2# ls
ls: reading directory '.': Permission denied

am I misunderstanding something about Samba anonymous access?

Thanks
Andrea