[Samba] samba_dns_question

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jan 22 16:18:16 UTC 2019

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] Namens
> Rowland Penny via samba
> Verzonden: dinsdag 22 januari 2019 16:35
> Aan: L. van Belle via samba
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] samba_dns_question
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:16:15 +0100
> "L. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hai Rowland,
> >
> > I think you are mixing a few settings.
> >

> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#additional-from-auth
> >  additional-from-auth yes | no ;
> >  additional-from-cache yes | no ;
> >

> I have never set those options
Correct but they default to yes.
But these might help understand what im trying to say here.
Yes:yes
BIND will follow out of zone records e.g. it will follow the MX record specifying mail.example.net for zone example.com
for which it is authoritative (master or slave). Default behaviour.

Yes no Cache disabled.
BIND will follow out-of-zone records but since this requires the cache (which is disabled) the net result is the same -
BIND will return REFUSED for the out-of-zone record.

Note REFUSED and NXDOMAIN.

> > And
> >
> > www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#auth-nxdomain
> > auth-nxdomain yes | no;
> >
> > If auth-nxdomain is 'yes' allows the server to answer authoritatively (the AA bit is set)
> > 	when returning NXDOMAIN (domain does not exist) answers,
> > if 'no' (the default) the server will not answer authoritatively.
> >
> > And
>
> I don't set that and so it defaults to 'no' and does it matter whether
> the AD is Authoritative for a non existing domain or not ?

For a non existing domain not, its never authoritive.
But the AD-DC DNS is the dns root for the zone.

> > http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#empty-zones-enable
> > empty-zones-enable yes | no ;
> >
> > By default empty-zones-enable is set to yes which means that reverse
> > queries for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
> > covered by RFCs 1918, 4193, 5737 and 6598 (as well as IPv6 local
> > address (locally assigned),
> > IPv6 link local addresses, the IPv6 loopback address and the IPv6
> > unknown address)
> > but which is not not covered by a locally defined zone clause will
> > automatically return an NXDOMAIN response from the local
> name server.
> > This prevents reverse map queries to such addresses escaping to the
> > DNS hierarchy where
> > they are simply noise and increase the already high level of query
> > pollution caused by mis-configuration.
> >

> OK, I will give you that one, it probably would be better if
> it was set to yes, which really means not having the line.

No, argg.. How can i explain this..
Hmm very short version, it might block queries to 10.0.0.0/8  172.16.0.0/12  192.168.0.0/16

Greetz,

Louis