[Samba] samba_dns_question

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Tue Jan 22 15:16:15 UTC 2019

Hai Rowland,

I think you are mixing a few settings.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#additional-from-auth
 additional-from-auth yes | no ;
 additional-from-cache yes | no ;

And

www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#auth-nxdomain
auth-nxdomain yes | no;

If auth-nxdomain is 'yes' allows the server to answer authoritatively (the
AA bit is set)
	when returning NXDOMAIN (domain does not exist) answers,
if 'no' (the default) the server will not answer authoritatively.

And

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/queries.html#empty-zones-enable
empty-zones-enable yes | no ;

By default empty-zones-enable is set to yes which means that reverse queries
for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
covered by RFCs 1918, 4193, 5737 and 6598 (as well as IPv6 local address
(locally assigned),
IPv6 link local addresses, the IPv6 loopback address and the IPv6 unknown
address)
but which is not not covered by a locally defined zone clause will
automatically return an NXDOMAIN response from the local name server.
This prevents reverse map queries to such addresses escaping to the DNS
hierarchy where
they are simply noise and increase the already high level of query pollution
caused by mis-configuration.

auth-nxdomain yes;
empty-zones-enable no;
additional-from-auth yes ;
additional-from-cache no ;
Would be my settings, if i did read above correctly. ( for the DC's )
If i forward this to my other 2 bind servers, then they would have.

auth-nxdomain no;
empty-zones-enable yes;
additional-from-auth yes ;
additional-from-cache yes ;

If the zone you are using in samba and is in the same as the empty-zones.
And an empty zone contains only an SOA and a single NS RR.
What will happen...

But i'll read this again in dutch.. Maybe reading things wrong, dont think
so but possible.

Greetz,

Louis