[Samba] AD ID mapping back end - must IDs be unique over all objects?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jan 20 20:22:26 UTC 2019

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:57:51 +0100
Viktor Trojanovic via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Reading the wiki page on the topic above, the following doesn't seem
> entirely clear to me: must all used IDs be unique, or do just the
> user/computer accounts and the groups, respectively, need unique IDs?
> Simply put, is it possible that a user has a uidNumber that is the
> same as the gidNumber of a group?
>
> Thanks,
> Viktor

Does this answer your question ?

rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash

The first '10000' is myself and the second '10000' is Domain Users.

To put it another way, each users must have a unique uidNumber and each
group must have a unique gidNumber, but they can both start from the
same number.

Rowland