[Samba] [SOLVED] NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Jan 20 18:58:03 UTC 2019

Ah ha! I believe I've solved this.  I checked the Windows credentials repository.  There was a
'mark' ID and likely an old password stored there.  I deleted that credential, rebooted, and no
more lock out message.

During the past year, the 'classic' Samba file server was added as a domain member and all
domain member workstations then had to use domain credentials for mapping drives.  As
mentioned, on this particular host I log in as the domain administrator to do things like ADUC.
Once upon a time it also mapped a share, but since the dom administrator is not a normal domain
user, its credentials didn't work (I posted a thread about that here last year).  So, I mapped
the drive using a normal domain user's credentials.  I've long since NOT mapped that drive and
forgot that I had once done that.

Recently, the 'mark' password expired and I had to change it.  That's when the trouble started,
which makes sense since the credential repository certainly had the old password.

What's interesting is that Windows apparently tries to validate the repository credentials when
the admin user logs on even if no mapping is happening.  I guess it does that at login time
just in case.

--Mark