[Samba] Add linux group to windows AD group

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jan 19 20:38:23 UTC 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 20:59:06 +0100
Mark Amundsen via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> [...] I'd like to add the group disk to a
> >> windows AD group 'backup' [...]
>
> > A 'local' Linux is just that, a local user, it is not a part of AD,
> > so it cannot be used in AD, the same goes for groups.
> >
> > You could create the user in AD and then make this user a Linux
> > user as well, but you will have to delete the local Linux user.
> >
> > You should then be able to add you AD Linux user to the local Linux
> > group.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> (Backup is called amanda (debian package), seems to be hard coded to
> run as user 'backup' I'll set up a test case and see if backup user
> can be created from AD before I install amanda.)

The problem is that the 'Amanda' user will be a Unix system user who is
a member of a Unix system group, what do you expect to get from doing
what you you propose ? Undoubtedly, 'Amanda' will expect to find the
user 'amanda' and run as this user, it may also expect this user to
have an exact ID number.

> Can I use user mapping instead? Map backup to an AD user which is
> member of the backup ad group?

You could use a usermap, but from what I know of 'Amanda', this will
not get you much further.

I seem to remember that a regular poster on here uses 'Amanda', he may
be able to help you here.

Rowland