[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sat Jan 19 18:37:18 UTC 2019

I sure could use some help on this.  Perhaps this problem is due to a recent Windows update?

I have determined that whenever I log into the Windows 7 host DBSERVER from any other Windows 7
computer, whether it be a local domain workstation or an external computer, and regarless of
whether the client workstation is logged in as 'mark' or any other user, I have the lockout
problem.

As soon as I log into Windows 7 host dbserver as the domain administrator I immediately see
series 10 to 15 of the following log.samba messages:

  Auth: [Kerberos KDC,ENC-TS Pre-authentication] user [(null)]\[mark at HPRS] at [Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:18:27.881822 EST] with [arcfour-hmac-md5] status [NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD] workstation [(null)] remote host [ipv4:192.168.0.4:53914] mapped to [HPRS]\[mark]. local host [NULL]

Then, if I try to log into ANY domain member as user 'mark' I cannot and the log.samba has:

  auth_check_password_recv: sam authentication for user [HPRS\mark] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT, authoritative=1
  Auth: [SamLogon,network] user [HPRS]\[mark] at [Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:28:06.590937 EST] with [NTLMv2] status [NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT] workstation [WIN7VM] remote host [ipv4:192.168.0.4:54336] mapped to [HPRS]\[mark]. local host [ipv4:192.168.0.2:49153]  NETLOGON computer [DBSERVER] trust account [DBSERVER$]

The administrator user does not map any drives or otherwise seem to run anything as user 'mark'.

I cannot figure out why something is trying to login/connect as user 'mark' with an invalid
password even when logging in as the administrator, not 'mark'.

Furthermore, when I do actually log into this computer as 'mark' and enter the correct PW, it
works fine, no Auth errors.

Could someone point me in the right direction for research?

--Mark