[Samba] Problems after upgrade from Samba3/OpenLDAP to Samba4 - New Useraccounts aren't properly working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 16 17:30:42 UTC 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:54:04 +0100 (CET)
Jens Günther via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We've got some problems after an Upgrade from OpenLDAP and Samba3 to
> Samba4 AD (4.5.12 on Debian 9). After a successfull upgrade. we can't
> create no new properly working User-accounts with the RSAT-mmc
> (Windows 2k8, which is connected to the DC). The account can be
> created in RSAT and can even login on a Windows 7 Client - which is
> fine - but the account doe not got any access on networkshares.  On
> dc-side you can retrieve the user-accounts via "wbinfo -u" (the old
> and new ones), respectively old and new groups via "wbinfo -g", but
> when you execute "getent passwd" it will only display the old
> useraccounts and not the new ones. It seems new accounts don't get
> valuable uid/gid. Does somebody know how to fix this problem?

I take it you mean that you have run classicupgrade and now have a
Samba AD DC with the users and groups from the old NT4-style domain.

You are now creating users on a Windows machine using RSAT, do you have
the Unix Attributes tab ? if not you need it. A normal windows user
does not get any rfc2307 attributes by default, you need to add them
via the Unix Attributes tab. Other ways of adding them are available.

Rowland