[Samba] Internal DNS migrate to Bind9_DLZ

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jan 16 14:11:16 UTC 2019

Hi,

This supports my idea, only i did not know that samba internal-dns does not care about the TTL/SOA records.
Thank you Denis for this.

If thats the case, do we have a bug report on this, becasue TTL/SOA records are most important.
Maybe i forgot this when i did setup, using bind9_dlz so long already..

> > Is there anything specific I can check in the DB?
>
> like it is written in the logs here above, you are missing the NS and
> SOA field in your DNS partition. Internal DNS doesn't care
> about it but
> Bind-DLZ is less forgiving. You could try something like below (adapt
> accordingly):
>
> samba-tool dns add srvads testdca.lan @ SOA "srvads.testdca.lan
> hostmaster.testdca.lan. 2 900 600 86400 3600" -P
> samba-tool dns add srvads testdca.lan @ NS srvads.testdca.lan -P
>
> For the SOA record, the syntax of the text string is : nameserver,
> email, serial, refresh, retry, expire, minimumttl
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis

My idea was:

- If the samba (config) data does not met the needed requirements for dns you might hit errors.
samba-tool testparm -v | egrep "realm|workgroup|netbios|alias"
For example.
Good : netbios name = my-test1-system
Wrong: netbios name = my-test2 system  ( space )
Wrong: netbios name = my-test2-system1 ( 16 chars max 15! )
Wrong: netbios name = my-test2-systém  ( wrong charaters é )
Wrong: netbios name = my_test2_systém  ( wrong charaters _ )

At least thats what i did find on : dns_rdata_fromtext: buffer-0x7f944d595da0:1:near eof: unexpected end of input

I notice a strange thing.

dns_rdata_fromtext: buffer-0x7f944d595da0:1	<< that 1, tels use near line 1.
near eof: unexpected end of input  < but here its near eof of file.

To me it looks like faulty data in line 1.
- incorrect TTL/SOA records?

All i can suggest now is run the DLZ loader with -d1 or -d3
But try Dennis his option first.

Last, if one know a way to export the DNS data from the server to plain text files, that would be great.
And no, master/slave setup gives on the slave a binary data file.  ;-)

Greetz,

Louis