[Samba] AIX issue

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 15 18:36:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:51:28 +0000
Howard Coles <hcoles at dollargeneral.com> wrote:

> I don't want to set the user's primary group from AD, I want samba to
> recognize the users AIX local primary group.

If the computer is running Samba and is joined to the domain, then you
cannot do what you want. This is because your domain users will be in
AD and you need to extend them to be Unix users, the same goes for
domain groups. The local Unix users and groups will only be used when
logged locally into the Unix machine. This means you cannot have a user
called 'fred' in /etc/passwd and in AD.

Your smb.conf (what there is) is for a Unix domain member.

Rowland