[Samba] AIX issue

Howard Coles hcoles at dollargeneral.com
Tue Jan 15 16:38:57 UTC 2019

Hello, new to this list, but not lists generally speaking.  Been around since '93 in IT so kinda thinking this shouldn't be stumping me, but it is.

I have Samba 4.6.4-2 installed via IBM's Linux toolbox, on an AIX 7.1 server.  Everything is working fairly well, except Kerberos, but it's not really needed for what I'm doing.

The problem is that if a member has a primary group of "samprime" (for example) and there are files written to directories where that is the group that owns the files, and the file has "660" for permissions, the user cannot open the file.  It's like Samba is ignoring the primary group of the user.  If I change the owner to the user, or if I make the permissions 664, they can open it.  The problem is that the process that writes the file cannot write it as the user, and apparently refuses to write it with 664 permissions.

Has anyone else seen or dealt with this issue before?  I've run dry on all my google searches on finding a good solution.

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Admin

John 3:16!