[Samba] GPO or similar for fedora?

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon Jan 14 20:56:31 UTC 2019

On 1/14/19 4:10 PM, Carlos Bordon via samba wrote:
> Hi! i going to migrate all windows workstation to fedora and I need for
> example: make an administrator users in all workstation, is possible make a
> gpo for linux?
>
> All the workstation are in domain...obviosly is a SAMBA!

You can't apply Windows domain based GPOs to Linux clients without the
usage of third party tools (tools not provided by Samba), and some of
those tools can only apply a few specific GPOs to Linux.

Maybe what you are looking for is to be able to configure sudo rules for
your workstations from a Samba AD DC. There are ways to extend the AD
directory schema to store sudo rules, and at the same time, to configure
Linux sudo to read those rules from the AD LDAP server.

For simplicity, you can store a sudoers file that grant all users of a
domain group full sudo access, but that sudo configuration must be
deployed to all clients. This doesn't require modifying the AD schema.