[Samba] dehydrated hook for LetsEncrypt certs and samba dns (was: samba-tool auth in scripts)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 14 13:20:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:40:26 +0100
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> [...]

It says this:

   Kerberos realm names are case sensitive.  Realm names that differ
   only in the case of the characters are not equivalent.

So, from that, the REALM SaMdOm.EXAMPLE.COM would not be the same REALM as the
SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM REALM.

It then goes on to say:

   Domain style realm names MUST look like domain names: they consist of
   components separated by periods (.) and they contain neither colons
   (:) nor slashes (/).  Though domain names themselves are case
   insensitive, in order for realms to match, the case must match as
   well.  When establishing a new realm name based on an internet domain
   name it is recommended by convention that the characters be converted
   to uppercase.

I read this to mean that, whilst you can have a dns domain like
SaMdOm.example.com, it will be treated as if it was samdom.example.com as far
as DNS is concerned. This is different from the REALM as shown above,
where a case difference matters.

It then seems to go on to say that a new REALM must be based on the dns
domain, but in uppercase.

This means, to me at least, that the REALM is the dns domain in uppercase

Rowland