[Samba] winbind failed to reset devices.list was: samba.service is masked (Debian 9)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jan 13 09:44:06 UTC 2019

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 08:09:52 +0100
Anton Blau via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 12.01.2019 um 23:08 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 22:04:50 +0100
> > Anton Blau via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Is this all you installed ? :
> > apt-get install samba
> >
> > If so try reading this:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distribution-specific_Package_Installation
> >

> Hello Rowland,
>

> thank you for your help. I took a few steps further.
>
> * I installed the additional needed packages like
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distribution-specific_Package_Installation
>
> apt-get install samba attr winbind krb5-config krb5-user
>
> Default Kerberos version 5 realm: DUCK.LOCALLAN
> Kerberos servers for your realm: fileserver localhost
> Administrative server for your Kerberos realm: fileserver

Hmm, you posted this as part of your smb.conf:

  realm = SMBDOMAIN.LOCAL.COMASYS.CH
  netbios name = FILE

The two do not match.

Can you post the contents of the following files:

/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf

Also, if you are going to use the DC as a fileserver, you need to
install more packages from the list.

> But now the Installation of winbind crashes:
>

> apt-get install -f winbind
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> winbind is already the newest version (2:4.5.12+dfsg-2+deb9u4).

It looks like winbind was already installed.

> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> Setting up winbind (2:4.5.12+dfsg-2+deb9u4) ...
> Job for winbind.service failed because the control process exited
> with error code. See "systemctl status winbind.service" and
> "journalctl -xe" for details. invoke-rc.d: initscript winbind, action
> "start" failed.
> * winbind.service - Samba Winbind Daemon
>     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/winbind.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: enabled) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun
> 2019-01-13 07:01:45 UTC; 5ms ago Docs: man:winbindd(8)
>             man:samba(7)
>             man:smb.conf(5)
>    Process: 341 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/winbindd $WINBINDOPTIONS
> (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Main PID: 341 (code=exited,
> status=1/FAILURE)
>
> Jan 13 07:01:45 fileserver systemd[1]: Starting Samba Winbind
> Daemon...

That is actually a good thing, on a Samba AD DC you ONLY start the
'samba' binary. This is achieved on Debian by 'systemctl
start samba-ad-dc', the 'samba' binary will then start 'smbd' &
'winbind'

Rowland