[Samba] Running off pre-created keytabs

Remy Zandwijk (Samba) remy+samba at luckyhands.nl
Fri Jan 11 12:14:16 UTC 2019

> On 11 Jan 2019, at 12:34, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:03:30 +0100
> "Remy Zandwijk \(Samba\) via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>>> On 11 Jan 2019, at 10:33, Rowland Penny via samba
>>> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> I am with Louis here, this definitely says more about your company
>>> than you or Samba. To put it bluntly, it appears that they do not
>>> trust you, otherwise they would have given you delegated powers to
>>> join computers.
>>
>> Another use case is joining a machine to a domain of which only the
>> read-only domain controllers are reachable (in a DMZ, for example).
>>
>> In the university I work at, Windows servers in the DMZ are joined to
>> the domain by pre-creating the machine account and running a script
>> (as local admin) on the server. If Windows can do that, why not Samba?
>>

> It probably can, 'samba-tool computer create <computername>' will
> precreate the computer in AD, so all that should be needed is the
> script, anybody got an example script ?

The script which is being used on the Windows server to-be-joined is provided for by Microsoft:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd728035(v=ws.10).aspx#sample_script_RODC_join <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd728035(v=ws.10).aspx#sample_script_RODC_join>

Before running the script, a registry key needs to be added:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters /v SiteName /t REG_SZ /d Default-First-Site-Name-Perimeter

Then run the script like:
cscript JoinScript.vbs /domain YOURDOMAIN /machinepassword "THE_PASSWORD" /dc RODC_FQDN /readonly

I spend a lot of time trying to join a Samba domain member server to an Windows read-only AD, but I couldn't get it to work. My impression is that Samba is not playing very well with site perimeters, but I cannot recall the details.

Personally, I do not agree at all with the statement that not being allowed to join machines to the domain is a matter of lack of trust within the company. I think it's a best practice to adhere the least privilege principles. If the AD admins pre-create the computer account and give the Samba domain member server admin the keytab and machine password, it should be just about enough to be able to join the particular machine and only the particular machine (if only it would work with Samba).

-Remy