[Samba] samba_dnsupdate options: --use-samba-tool vs. --use-nsupdate, and dhcpd dynamic updates

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 10 20:44:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 20:07:40 +0000 (UTC)
Billy Bob <billysbobs at yahoo.com> wrote:

>    On Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:43 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>  >On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:09:01 +0000 (UTC)
> >Billy Bob via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> >> As to the current issue, I am attemting to configure DHCP to update
> >> DNS records with BIND9, as outlined in the Samba Wiki (with
> >> correction of a couple errors in the "on release" and "on expiry"
> >> sections of the example dhcpd.conf file).
> >
> >What errors ?
>
> In "on expiry" changed:
>
> execute("/usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh", "delete", ClientIP, "", "0");

> execute("/usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh", "delete", ClientIP, "0", "");
>
> and in on release (this one not really an error) gave
>
> execute("/usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh", "delete", ClientIP,
> ClientDHCID);
>
> a default null value for ClientName, as follows
>
> execute("/usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh", "delete", ClientIP,
> ClientDHCID, "");

They have worked that way for me for a long time, can you remind me
what OS you are using, it may be I need to add another note to the wiki
page.

> >Do you want to change your scripts to match my scripts as found on
> >the wiki ?
> >I know they work, well they have for me for the last 6 years.
>

> I am not opposed to starting over with it. "My" script is just a copy
> of the Wiki script with variables populated according to the values
> for the server. Perhaps those values are not the same, test
> conditions are different ... I don't know. It did work on prior
> incarnation of DC. Also the logs looked much more like those below,
> and the updates were being made.

Your script looks very different from mine and there is no mention of
'samba_dlz' in the log fragment you posted. I don't know what is doing
the updates, but it doesn't seem to be the script, I take it you made it
executable ?

Rowland