[Samba] Users created in last few years cannot login after 4.7 -> 4.8 + winbind

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 9 14:42:49 UTC 2019

I think that is fair to say about my old accounts where names and IDs
do not match.  But the crazy thing is it is those accounts which work fine
and it is the new accounts where I did make the names and IDs match where
things do not work!

I am still confused about the supplemental groups thing.  Are you saying
Samba will not support a mode where 'security = ads' for authentication
against AD but there are groups defined "locally" (and not in AD) that
can be used in smb.conf for things like 'valid users' and 'force group'?

Does using 'security = ads' actually REQUIRE that winbind also be used
in NIS (nsswitch.conf/pam) now?

I have tried 'security = domain' as the smb.conf man page mostly describes
this as what I want but using this always results in

Checking NTLMSSP password for MYDOMAIN\user failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

for any user login without winbind running.  When I run winbind, winbind
hangs and can only be killed by a kill -9 signal. Even 'wbinfo --own-domain'
just hangs forever.  Runing winbind in the foreground with -d 10 it seems
to be constantly trying to connect to the DC and failing with

Connecting to 172.18.1.18 at port 445
fcntl_lock 25 6 0 1 0
fcntl_lock: fcntl lock gave errno 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
fcntl_lock: lock failed at offset 0 count 1 op 6 type 0 (Resource temporarily
unavailable)