[Samba] Using samba-tool from Domain member

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 9 08:20:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 14:51:35 -0800
Luke Barone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I should have been more specific. I'm trying to add users; I figured
> listing the users was a good test. I'm sure it's expected, but I'm now
> seeing the following:
>
> # samba-tool user create test.user -H ldap://dc1
> New Password:
> Retype Password:
> ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user 'test.user':  - LDAP error 1
> LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR -  <00002020: Operation unavailable without
> authentication> <>
>
> I tried using the -U and -P switch (as a test), and it claimed that
> the Administrator was "unable to get access to CN=....". I used the
> "--kerberos yes" switch with the -H ldap://dc1, and that works!

Always say what you want directly, it doesn't half help ;-)

rowland at devstation:~/tests$ sudo kinit Administrator
Password for Administrator at SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM:
rowland at devstation:~/tests$ sudo samba-tool user create user32 P4ssw0rd* -H ldap://dc4 -k yes
User 'user32' created successfully

rowland at devstation:~/tests$ sudo samba-tool user create user33 -H ldap://dc4 -k yes
New Password:
Retype Password:
User 'user33' created successfully

Does that help ?