[Samba] CUPS removal of cupsaddsmb

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 9 01:18:21 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 01:57:42AM +0100, David Disseldorp via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was recently directed to look at some upstream CUPS changes which
> impact Samba's printer server functionality: cupsaddsmb has been dropped
> via
> https://github.com/apple/cups/commit/f1def5b85f51120f5dc1eb21e1f38860ef41be9c
>
> Given that it's only just gone in, I wouldn't expect it to reach distros
> for some time, but I think it's worth discussing how/whether we should
> react.
> AFAICT cupsaddsmb walks the cupsGetDests2() printer list and performs
> PPD file creation, driver upload (using smbclient) and registration
> (via rpcclient adddriver).
> IIRC, this functionality is similar to what's performed by Window's
> native Add Printer Wizard. If cupsaddsmb is heavily used in Samba Print
> Server deployments, then perhaps we should look at merging it into the
> Samba codebase (it's Apache 2.0 licensed).
> Any thoughts?

Here's the reasoning from the issue tracker:

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5449

@frazhome Judging from the number of emails we get about cupsaddsmb
not working or problems with Samba, I don't think that everything is
working as well for people in general.

Since neither CUPS nor macOS comes bundled with Samba, the right place
for this kind of program is in cups-filters (which is used on all Linux
distributions) or in Samba (which covers all Linux/UNIX platforms).

Also, Windows 10 has built-in support for IPP Everywhere printing
now - those clients can print directly and more reliably without Samba.

Looks like we should pick this up and merge
into Samba.

Jeremy.