[Samba] Users created in last few years cannot login after 4.7 -> 4.8 + winbind

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 8 21:25:55 UTC 2019

It appears there is still misunderstanding about my situation/setup. Sorry, I
know this is strange.

I have an LDAP server for my Linux infrastructure that is totally seperate
from the corporate AD Windows domain.  At one point my LDAP did have
the samba schema installed with my its own SID's and smbpasswd's in it.
My web app for users to change their Linux password would on the backend
set their 'userPassword' and 'sambaNTPassword' via separate calls
to keep them in sync.

But when the edict to do single sign on to the coporate AD happened I stopped
using any of the samba schema in my LDAP server.  And I set each user's
'userPassword' field to something like '{SASL}per2' to use passthru on the
LDAP authentication end.  And I configured samba to use corporate AD
with the username map

Corporate is definitely NOT going to let me copy 'sambaNTPassword' from them
or let me setup my own domain to trust.  The later would probably not
work anyway due to the mismatch with names/uids.

So with 4.7.x using the 'username map' with 'domain = ads' was working
just fine with me.

The random nature of this is what is most confusing.  Mounting always
works for old account 'per2'.  But I can have mounting work for one
the new accounts, simply doing a 'systemctl restart smb' and then mounting
does not work for the new account or unmounting, waiting 10 minutes changing
nothing and then trying to mount again.

In addition I think I run into the secondary group problem referenced in the
thread I mentioned a few months ago.  The share I was setting was using "valid
users = +sysadm" and per2, aea32 and nmr27 are all in that group (but not
their primary group).

With

[posters]
     path = /home/posters
     valid users = +sysadm
     writable = yes
     create mask = 664
     force create mode = 664
     directory mask = 2775
     force directory mode = 2775

And the permissions on /home/posters being

drwxrws--- 5 root sysadm 4096 Jan  7 11:13 /webdata/posters

only user 'per2' can mount the share ('per2' can also write)

When I changed it to

     path = /home/posters
     valid users = aea32 nmr27 +sysadm

and made the directory world readable I was then sometimes able
to mount this share as aea32 and nmr27, sometimes not. When I
could I could not write to the directory till I made it owned
by the user who mounted.

I have been using

        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 100-999
        idmap config PARTNERS:backend = ad
        idmap config PARTNERS:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config PARTNERS:range = 1000-9999999
        idmap config PARTNERS:unix_primary_group = yes

so all 3 accounts are covered in the 1000-9999999 range.

Failure will have a message like:

   winbindd case, sid_to_uid for S-1-5-21-8915387-943144406-1916815836-949594
failed

which is the SID of in the corporate AD of the user I was trying.

[root:/var/log/samba]# wbinfo
--sid-to-name=S-1-5-21-8915387-943144406-1916815836-949594
PARTNERS\nmr27 1

The above wbinfo always seems to work, so I don't know why it randomly
fails with the sid_to_uid error on mount requests