[Samba] In Mac SMB guest access is not working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 8 09:57:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 13:01:07 +0530
VigneshDhanraj G <vigneshdhanraj.g at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Below are the smb.conf which used in both 4.7 and 4.9
>
> Global] available= yes restrict anonymous= 0 Workgroup= SAM netbios
> name= x2 realm= SAM.COM <http://sam.com/> password server=
> 192.168.1.14, * idmap backend= tdb idmap uid= 5000-9999999 idmap gid=
> 5000-9999999 idmap config SAM  : backend= rid idmap config  SAM  :
> range= 10000000-19999999 security= ADS name resolve order= wins host
> bcast lmhosts client use spnego= yes dns proxy= no winbind use
> default domain= no winbind nested groups= yes inherit acls= yes
> winbind enum users= yes winbind enum groups= yes winbind separator=
> \\ winbind cache time= 300 winbind offline logon= true template
> shell= /bin/sh kerberos method= secrets and keytab map to guest= Bad
> User host msdfs= yes strict allocate= no encrypt passwords= yes
> printcap name= lpstat printable= no load printers= yes max smbd
> processes= 500 getwd cache= yes use sendfile= yes winbind sequence
> directory= /tmp/samba log level= 0 max log size= 50 unix extensions=
> no dos charset= ascii state directory= /mnt/system/samba/system cache
> directory= /tmp/samba/ ntlm auth= Yes winbind expand groups= 1 idmap
> config * : backend= tdb idmap config * : range= 3000-7999
>
> here used map to guest = Bad User. So previously able to connect smd
> as guest. After upgrade to 4.9 unable to guest as only in mac. Able
> to connect the share from linux machine using smbclient.
>
> i had no clue for the behavioral change. I need to retain the previous
> behavior as such in 4.7.

a few things, your email client is atrocious, the above is how I
received it.
Your smb.conf is wrong, try reading 'man smb.conf'.
You have MAC clients but are not using any of the MAC vfs objects.
Finally, which bit of 'I will not tell you how.' do you not
understand ??

I will not tell you how to shoot yourself in the foot, find another way
to do what you require, failing that, search the internet to find out
how to shoot yourself in the foot.

Rowland