[Samba] My 1973 VW Karmann Ghia

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 00:20:46 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:18 AM Sven Schwedas via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> It might actually, Karmann-Ghia, Beetle and Samba all shared the same
> engine blocks, from what I recall.

So off-topic. And yes, they did all share similar if not identical blocks
which was very similar to the vintage Porsche designed by the same man.  My
family used VW Beetle parts to keep my dad's Porsche alive when I was a
child. He got his first Beetle in pre WW2 Berlin, in medical school. For
those not familiar models, the Karmann-Ghia was the sports model. It could
fairly easily top 130 MPH with a Porsche transmission replacing the less
robust VW transmission, which was a drop-in replacement, and with enough
weight in it to keep it on the road. The Samba was the "VW microbus" of
"Alices's Restaurant" fame. Squarebacks, Fastbacks, whatever the shape of
the shell, the parts were a lot like good quality freeware. You could swap
in the parts you needed from another vehicle with little difficulty, and
they were cheap enough that you could carve them if you needed to.