[Samba] DNS (Bind )update via external DHCP ISC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 7 13:34:30 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:55:59 +0530
Biswajit Banerjee via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have Samba4 AD ( V4.8 )environment with Bind 9 on the same server
> and want to have DNS updated from the DHCP ISC server( External) . As
> we see the the host records and reverse records do not get updated
> dynamically on the Bind / DNS . Is it not the functionality to have
> DNS updated as soon as clients log in .
>
> If not , then probably we have to follow
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
> to get it done . correct me if am wrong ?

If you have any Unix clients (other than the DC which will have a fixed
ipaddress) then they will not be able to update their records in AD,
Windows clients can.

> This document talks about DHCP IScĀ  on the same server , can we some
> one help me to have it deployed with external DHCP server .

Well, that is how I run it, but it should work when run on another
computer, provided that the computer is in the same dns domain, it
would also have to be a Unix domain member. You will have to modify the
script, find the lines 'server 127.0.0.1' and change '127.0.0.1' to
your DC's ipaddress.

Rowland