[Samba] smbclient (Samba 4.9.4) "Unable to initialize messaging context"?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 2 09:44:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:32:55 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 21.12.18 um 16:47 schrieb Peter Eriksson via samba:
>
> >> What is "Unable to initialize messaging context"?
> >>
> >> I see a patch back in July, related to "Fix bug 13465",
> >> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-July/129186.html
> >> but it is unclear why the message is still being issued?
> >
> > Because that patch for bug 13465 fixes a similar error message in
> > another part of the code…
> >
> > (Notice that the error message does not end in a “.” or a “!” which
> > the other patch fixes :-)
> >
> > I just added the below patch to my own-compiled 4.9.4 tree :-)
>
> Unfortunately I have to report that I also get this message with
> samba-4.8.8 (van-belle repo) on Debian 9.6, when I check my backup
> connection to a Windows 2008 R2 server (running "amcheck" from the
> amanda backup suite which is then using smbclient under the hood).
>
> happy new year to all of you, by the way ;-)

Happy new year Stefan (and everybody else) ;-)

I think this message is one of those that can be ignored.

If I run 'smbclient -U% -Llocalhost' on Samba 4.9.4 as a normal user, I
get:

Unable to initialize messaging context

	Sharename       Type      Comment

But, as root, I get:

	Sharename       Type      Comment

The only difference being the 'Unable to initialize messaging context'
line.

Rowland