[Samba] Dynamic DNS tips? (Samba 4.8.x + Bind9_DLZ)

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:50:45 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 4:19 AM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 01:02:48 -0800
> Kris Lou via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > What's the recommended method for handling dynamic DNS updates?  via
> > Kerberos, DHCP scripts, or both?
> >
> > I'm currently doing both (I think), but Windows 2012R2 clients
> > sometimes complain about not being able to update since it's been
> > done by the DHCP script (and the DNS record is owned by the DHCP
> > user).  However, a bigger issue is that I've seen the scripts REMOVE
> > an entry upon update, but not add it back.
> >
> > I'd like to have Clients update their own records, especially since I
> > have some static Windows machines.  But I'd also like to have other
> > network devices in DNS (UPS/Printers, etc.).   Any tips to make this
> > happen?

DHCP reservations are my friend. Get the MAC address of the devices,
load them for particular IP addresses in your local DHCP servers, and
publish DNS records to go with them.  Devices that are not registered
get into a much smaller DHCP pool, which can be audited for
unregistered devices and notify our faithful narrator to hunt them
down and identify them.

> If you want your clients to update their own records, then let them,
> but be aware that any Unix clients will not even try.

Well, they can try. It takes some configuration and thought to do so
reliably and securely.