[Samba] Dynamic DNS tips? (Samba 4.8.x + Bind9_DLZ)

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Tue Jan 1 09:02:48 UTC 2019

What's the recommended method for handling dynamic DNS updates?  via
Kerberos, DHCP scripts, or both?

I'm currently doing both (I think), but Windows 2012R2 clients sometimes
complain about not being able to update since it's been done by the DHCP
script (and the DNS record is owned by the DHCP user).  However, a bigger
issue is that I've seen the scripts REMOVE an entry upon update, but not
add it back.

I'd like to have Clients update their own records, especially since I have
some static Windows machines.  But I'd also like to have other network
devices in DNS (UPS/Printers, etc.).   Any tips to make this happen?

Thanks,
-Kris

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net