[Samba] 'winbind' on the 'shadow' line in nsswitch.conf

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Feb 27 09:01:32 UTC 2019

Mandi! Alexey A Nikitin via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I understand that I don't need to add 'winbind' to the 'shadow' line. I also understand that it would be a potential mistake too, since Winbind doesn't implement 'shadow' database (according to the docs, anyway). Problem is, we already got several thousand machines in production with 'winbind' in the 'shadow' line, and they (mostly) appear to be working OK, except for about 2-4% that have intermittent failures of getpwnam() and/or authentication failures. Changing the configuration in those production machines is definitely possible, but I'm trying to understand what's the exact risk of leaving existing machines as-is, and whether there may be any connection between those intermittent auth/getpwnam failures and this config option. Any insight into the system behavior with unimplemented 'shadow' database in nsswitch.conf is appreciated.

I feel i've still hit this, see my thread 'Winbind, cached logons and 'user
persistency'...'.

Also for be, and absolutely randomly, i've the MTA (Exim) that seems
'forget' user, like getpwnam() return nothing (or, anyway, bad data).

I've spotted this behaviour while rebooting DC, but clearly not all at
the same time, so there was a DC reachable.

I've tried to debug this a bit, but with no success: anytime i try to
trick this, does not trick. ;(