[Samba] Using Access Control Lists with SMB2/SMB3 Mounts on Linux Clients

Kraus, Sebastian sebastian.kraus at tu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 27 01:26:10 UTC 2019

Dear Jeremy,
thanks for your instant reply. :-)
Along with Linux native getfacl/fetfacl, I also tested getcifsacl/setcifsacl (for sure thoroughly ;-)).
Unfortunately, these CIFS client tools seem to have been designed as part of the "old" CIFS
Unix Extensions, working only for SMB/CIFS mounts, and are not supposed to work with
SMB2/SMB3 mounts, as I guess.
During my tests, the getcifsacl utility fails on SMB2/SMB3 mounts always with an xattr error:

xxx:~# getcifsacl /media/testmount/yyy
getxattr error: 95
REVISION:0x0
CONTROL:0x0

I am working on Debian stable boxes. I also tested with Debian testing and an actual Fedora Kernel,
but whithout any noticable change regarding the behaviour of getcifsacl/setcifsacl on SMB2/SMB3
mounts. The most striking difference between SMB/CIFS and SMB2/SMB3 mounts consists in the
fact that the client and the server seem to agree on the mount flag "nounix" or the Kernel cifs client
sets this flag automatically. On the other hand, SMB/CIFS mounts do not set this flag and CIFS ACL
are usable with SMB/CIFS mounts in the same sense.

Thanks for all your hints and best
Sebastian

Sebastian Kraus
Team IT am Institut für Chemie
Gebäude C, Straße des 17. Juni 115, Raum C7

Technische Universität Berlin
Fakultät II
Institut für Chemie
Sekretariat C3