[Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth mike at datacontrolsystems.com
Tue Feb 26 21:56:48 UTC 2019

I run samba for a small business domain (less than 10 users), which to me,
seems like a common (and good) use case.  When I ran a Windows server, it
did it all.  AD DC and file server.  I have figured out how to get samba to
do the same, but not without many a headache and some I'm sure, unsupported
workarounds.  While I fully understand the reasoning behind the desire to
run separate servers for separate uses, in my situation, and I'm sure many
others, it makes absolutely no sense to do so.  We have a mixed environment
(both Linux and Windows clients), and remote users who may not connect to a
DC for a month or so.  This may not be a common setup, but doesn't seem way
out in left field, and it is certainly frustrating that samba can't just
take the place of a Windows server, when that is what seems to be its main
purpose for existing.  The fact that all these different backends even
exist is baffling enough to me, and then the fact that none of them can act
like Windows is even more baffling.

Mike E.