[Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 26 14:44:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:18:35 +0100
Ralph Böhme <slow at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 01:32:51PM +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:49:42 +0100 Ralph Böhme  wrote:
> >>
> >> in particular idmap_autorid, idmap_rid and idmap_script support
> >> this so called mode, idmap_ad doesn't.
> >
> >I take it that xid is used internally by Samba to identify calculated
> >ID's, because the only place a normal user will come across them is
> >in idmap.ldb. If this is correct, then it doesn't really matter that
> >idmap_ad doesn't support them, because uidNumber & gidNumber replaces
> >them.
>
> Iirc it matters: I guess SID history will not work with idmap_ad.

If it doesn't and should, then it needs fixing.

> >From a users point of view, the only way to get an experience similar
> >to Windows is to use idmap_ad.
>
> From a certain perspective: maybe. But that's a generalisation, I
> wouldn't go over that bridge.

Where I live, you cannot get out of town without going over a bridge ;-)

> Again: for many fileserver scenarios you're better using
> idmap_autorid.

I do wish people would stop talking about 'fileservers', to me this
means a standalone server. In AD you have domain members, either Unix
or Windows and they should work in a similar way.

Your approach seems to be based on nobody using a Samba Unix domain
member as a workstation and only using them as somewhere to store files
etc i.e. a glorified NAS

Rowland