[Samba] AD-DC samba_gpoupdate failing

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at rvx.is
Tue Feb 26 13:34:32 UTC 2019

Ok, I've analyzed this and found that the cause is a call to getpwuid(uid)
with the uid being that of the domain controller.
"wbinfo --uid-info=3000074" works and returns information, but this library
function fails.
This is then propagated upwards as a memory error, because it is being
called from getpwuid_alloc() which is a talloc variant. the api doesn't
allow us to distinguish either form of error.
Later, there is this code (in libgpo)
new_token = create_local_nt_token(mem_ctx, &object_sid, false,
  num_token_sids, token_sids);
ADS_ERROR_HAVE_NO_MEMORY(new_token);
where the failure of create_local_nt_token() is simply assumed to be a
memory failure.  This pretty much destroys any finess in lower level error
handling...

Now, the reason getpwuid was failing was that the nsswitch.conf wasn't set
up on the DCs.  I fixed it and it works.  But I"ve been running these DCs
for three years without it.  There is also no indication anywhere that it
is not correctly set up.
I wonder if it is possible to enhance such diagnosis.
1) ouput a warning (failur of getpwuid is currently a DEBUG macro)
2) fix error handling.  Will do some tests.

--
Kv,
Kristján Valur Jónsson, RVX