[Samba] UID provided by rid idmap is out of the range imposed in smb.cof

Andrea Cucciarre' acucciarre at cloudian.com
Tue Feb 26 12:57:06 UTC 2019

Hello,

I had a problem with Samba winbind id-mappingĀ  on a system that is part
of an AD domain.
In the smb.conf I have the following setting:

idmap config <domain> : backend = rid
idmap config <domain> : range = 1000000-3000000
idmap config <domain> : schema_mode = rfc2307

winbindd was failing to convert some user SID to UID and in the idmap
logs I have the following error:

Requested id (7003151) out of range (1000000 - 3000000). Filtered!

I have fixed the issue by increasing the range to 1000000-10000000.
So it appears that depending on the user SID, the UID generated
automatically by Samba rid could be out of the range imposed in smb.conf.
Is it a bug or I'm just misunderstanding?

Thanks
Andrea